| Links to other Websites|
- www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk user friendly advice site covering all aspects of travel. A good first stop resource
- www.999supplies.com SP Services website. They can supply everything from drugs to stretchers to rotating beacons and sirens. Most of our supplies, including carrying cases and bags came from them. Online catalogue and ordering.
- www.cdc.gov/travel/index.htm Centre for Disease Control (Atlanta, Georgia,USA), exhaustive information on all travel and tropical medical matters
- www.who.int World Health Organization website
- www.bmj.com British Medical Journal, now available on line, and as a searchable archive.
- www.fco.gov.uk/travel Foreign Office site giving travel information and advice.
- www.doctors.net.uk Website and Internet service provider for Doctors. Access to wide range of research resourses including Medline.
OFF ROAD - Resourse Websites
- www.4x4i.com Sister publication to Land Rover World, but not linked to specific marque. Good source of information and road tests of Japanese and other non-LR vehicles. My Morocco 2007 article was published in their May 2008 magazine.
- www.landrover.com Official factory website, hosted by Land Rover North America with links to all international arms of the busines
- www.dunsfold.com Home Page of the Dunsfold Land Rover Trust. Museum and Servicing for Land Rovers of all ages. Phil Bashall, Proprietor, provided the mechanical expert support for the Land Rover Invitations Moroccan expeditions in 1996. What Phil doesn't know about Land Rovers isn't worth knowing!
- www.landroverclub.net Luxembourg Land Rover Club site, with info and many links to other resources.
- www.rrr.co.uk Range Rover Register Website.
- www.lroi.com Land Rover Owner International Magazine site. Links, online shopping and more from the largest circulation Land Rover Magazine.
Land Rover Monthly Magazine. Neil Hopkinson (Impala Adventures) runs their Off Road activities, and provides a monthly column.
OFF ROAD - Training & Expeditions
Paul Blackburn's company which specialises in vehicle dependent adventures and expeditions for the owners of all types of 4x4 vehicles. Off road trips to many African and other Destinations. Paul can offer everything from one to one tuition driver training in the UK to bespoke planning to help you drive your own vehicle from London to Beijing. His website lists planned expeditions in the next year, including "taster" weekends in Wales. I have worked with Paul and Anne on a number of occasions and can strongly recommend
OFF ROAD - Vehicle Preparation & Equipment
Specialist preparation company based in Abingdon who prepared my Nissan Patrol
as well as Ewan MacGregor's support vehicles for "The Long Way Down
". They have experience with most marques, and can import a new retro Toyota Landcruiser or source and prepare a secondhand vehicle to your own spec. They stock and supply many useful items of kit. Worthwhile advice and meticulous craftsmanship make them worth a visit.
Very useful equipment suppliers - particularly for non-Land Rover products. They do have workshops as well at their base in Harwich. Good advice on the telephone. They import the American Napier Sportz SUV tents
which fit on the back of a vehicle giving access to your load area without getting wet or letting prying eyes see what you've got. Now my preferred tent since it is wider and offers better ventilation in hot climes than the Caranex
I own and which was my previous choice.
Aussie manufacturer of some of the best Off Road equipment tested to destruction in the harsh environment of the Australian outback. ARB products I have installed in my Patrol include: Old Man Emu suspension, ARB
full length expedition roofrack, ARB Air Locker
locking differential, Long Ranger Fuel tank, Safari Snorkel
and IPF Driving Lights.
www.mudstuff.co.uk Kevin Baldwin's company supplying all sorts of off road gear mainly for Land Rover. Also licenced to manufacture and sell in Europe the USA designed off road Adventure Trailers.
- www.rgs.org The Royal Geographic Society's Website. The Expedition Advisory Centre, run by the RGS, produces a number of useful publications - including Expedition Medicine a handbook for medical planning for expeditions- as well as running a series of seminars through the year.
EQUIPMENT - Camping
- www.KimberleyKaravans.com Awesome Aussie Off Road caravans designed for living for extended periods in the outback. Currently no European Importers, so you would have to go it alone. Just take a look!
- http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/ Another Aussie off road trailer manufacturer - Look at their Tvan trailer
- www.escape2.co.uk Outdoor clothing and equipment with a personal touch from proprietor Alan Kinch and his team at their Warwick based shop - with a price match guarantee to boot!
- www.thepett.co.uk/index.html Brilliant portable toilet system including instant up tent and a dry powder system with soil disposal approved for use in USA National Parks. Beats wet cassette toilet systems hands down for weight portability & ease of use!
- www.boab.biz Importers of the Oz Tent and many other usfeul items of equipment
- www.fieldandtrek.com Suppliers of clothing, tents and all camping equipment.
- www.sportzbynapier.com American Manufacturer of Tents designed to fit on the back of vehicles or on the loadbed of Pick-up trucks. Larger and with better ventilation than the Caranex - so better suited to hot climates. Purchase by mail order from: http://www.tbruk.com/
- www.tackleup.com/ Banks & Burr of Rugby. Luxury camp beds and sleeping bags which fit to the beds so don't turn with you during the night. As used by dedicated fishermen. I have at last found the answer to superbly comfortable and warm nights in the bush! Sleeping Bag JRC Storm 5 season sleeping bag £69.99 - Bed Chub snooper 6 leg bedchair £99.99.
- www.caranex.co.uk The original fast pitch lightweight tent that fits on the back of your vehicle. Perfect on the back of my previous Range Rover Classic, but struggles with the roofrack on my Patrol and the side opening rear door with oversize spare wheel really stretches the tent to its limit. It has provided sterling service over a number of years.
EQUIPMENT - Navigation & Mapping
www.themapshop.co.uk Map Heaven! A shop with personal service in Upton-on-Severn which stocks a wide range of maps including some of the hard to get larger scale maps of Morocco.
www.garmin.com Garmin's Website with information on their GPS Navigation Aids. We have used a number of GPS units ranging from the GPS 12, through GPS III+, GPS V to my current main off road unit the GPS 276C. This unit allows loading of many of Garmin's Maps and also the excellent detailed Morocco map available for free from Olaf Kahler's Website: www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps . For UK, Europe & N. American on road navigation I have just acquired a Garmin Nuvi 770T which is excellent and includes live traffic information enabling it to offer realtime rerouting to avoid jams. It also offers music playback from an SD card transmitted by loe power FM to your car stereo aswell as bluetooth cellphone link to enable handsfree calling. Thus you get all the functions of a bespoke built in car system for a fraction of the price!